If you have a master’s degree or doctorate and are seeking further advancement, consider the online Doctor of Health Sciences (DHS) program to refine your teaching and leadership skills for positions in academic and clinical settings. With a foundation in research, policy, and ethics, candidates will concentrate on Higher Education or Administration and Leadership to focus on the issues and controversies surrounding healthcare. The online DHS program is designed for a variety of healthcare professionals, as the interdisciplinary curriculum provides a rigorous study of research and scholarship that will provide a foundation for developing solutions to the complex challenges facing our healthcare community.
When enrolled full time, candidates can expect to complete the program in three years. The MCPHS Online Doctor of Health Sciences program will be primarily online with two in-person residencies per year to focus on the dissertation, following topic approval. Candidates enrolled in the DHS program will:
- Explore health sciences through a variety of modalities with access to multidisciplinary electives at the oldest institution of higher education in Boston
- Develop research methods and applicable solutions to address the challenges of health sciences in either education or administration
- Access cutting edge information, using library resources developed by dedicated personnel with one of the largest medical product libraries in the country
Following the approval of their dissertation topic, candidates will be expected to attend a one week residency, in-person, in both January and July until the dissertation is completed. Successful completion of the program includes the dissertation and dissertation defense, along with a comprehensive exam following the completion of all core courses.
Currently, MCPHS Online offers two concentrations within the Doctor of Health Sciences program.
- Higher Education Teaching - Candidates pursuing a concentration in Higher Education Teaching will investigate the unique challenges and methods of teaching health sciences today. In addition to the core curriculum of the DHS program, candidates will focus on effective teaching models, advancements and applications of educational technology, as well as grant writing. A concentration in Higher Education Teaching will prepare students to take on a leadership role in higher education, teaching the next generation of health science professionals upon graduation.
- Administration and Leadership - A concentration in Administration and Leadership allows candidates to assess the risks and challenges facing the modern health sciences industry. In addition to the core curriculum of the DHS program, candidates will explore strategic planning and organizational behavior, as well as foundations in management and finance, to reduce risk and improve the systems that allow for successful implementation of healthcare. Candidates pursuing a concentration in Administration and Leadership will be prepared to take on a leadership role in the future of the healthcare industry in both the private and public sector.
Candidates who successfully complete the MCPHS Online Doctor of Health Sciences program will be equipped to advance their careers in higher education and administration. Graduates may pursue educational opportunities such as teaching in higher education. Candidates will also be qualified for advanced managerial and administrative positions within private care facilities, government agencies, pharmaceutical companies, clinical and research settings, and more.